Monday, January 10, 2011

What I didn't buy last week at the Rescue Mission on Old Liverpool Road.

Kenmore Sewing Machine $45

Here's the Model No.

Steam Press for $8.25

I was at the Rescue Mission, innocently looking for jeans for my rapidly shrinking husband.  I could not find any in size W34 L34, go figure.  I want to tell you, if he were a woman he would have endless pairs of jeans as there were plenty of women's mediums as far as the eye could see.

While there, I saw a belt driven 148 series Kenmore and a Steam Press.  I resisted.

However, to provide full disclosure, I did pick up two Cornflower Corning Ware casseroles and 4 Pfalzgraff coffee cups.  I use the CorningWare on my stove and oven and these were good sizes for us
and the Cornflower (of which I have been building on--use casseroles and coffee percolater) makes me think of my younger days when times were much simpler.  The Pfalzgraff cups-- well, I gave away a whole set of dishes and these cups were part of them.  I wanted to keep them but I felt that it wouldn't be fair to give a young woman a set of dishes and short her on the coffee mugs.   My current set of dishes does not have coffee mugs, it comes with tea cups which is fine for when you drink tea.  The Pfalzgraff cups are the perfect shade of off-white which goes with my current dishes.

 Come to think of it, I did stop at the Salvation Army too, no pants for Mike (although I found 2 pair of Levis for my son--seriously folks 34-inch inseams are hard to find).  I also purchased a teapot.  This one more or less matches my set and is evocative of the era (1940-1950's).  I have put my previous tea pot which matched nothing in the outgoing box.  I had been looking for a teapot that matched online but people wanted $40 and up for them.  I found it for $6.99.  Now I am find on cups, casseroles and teapots.  I just need casserole lids. There are two casserole dishes in the outgo box, no cups as I was need ing them.  I have already used the teapot, casseroles and the cups.   Most importantly, I did not add more stuff to my sewing room.  But boy, just looking at the picture makes me want to pet the sewing machine and that steam press..... well, I really don't have a spot for it and have been getting along splendidly with my iron.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for resisting the machine and yay on the Corning Ware. I love that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I know how those Kenmores sew--like tanks and it was hard to resist. Also the iron thing was cool, I have heard presses were amazing but .... I don't really need it. Corning Ware Rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, I wouldn't have been able to pass up the steam press - I've been wanting one! WTG on your other finds.

    ReplyDelete